CES will celebrate Computer Science Education Week: December 4th-10th. Here are some great resources to try at home!
Kindergarten – 2nd Grade
- ScratchJr. This free app allows young students (ages 5-8) to create their own interactive games and stories. This is a great introduction to coding and problem solving online.
- Move the Turtle This app allows to students to control the movements of a turtle in a maze with visual code similar to Scratch.
- Daisy the Dinosaur This free app is rated for ages 4+ and uses simple commands to help the dinosaur move in a prehistoric environment.
- Code.org This website has a wealth of tutorials for all ages. For the K-2 level, Courses A-C or the K-5 Pre-reader Express Course are recommended.
3rd -4th Grade
- Scratch One of the best programs for beginner coders to use drag and drop commands for interactive animations and games. Download Scratch Cards to learn new coding techniques.
- Code.org This website has a wealth of tutorials for all ages. For the 3-4 level, Courses D & E or the K-5 Express Course are recommended.
- LightBot.com This can be used on a web browser or as an app. This program allows to kids to move a robot around a title world. Students will learn procedures , loops and conditionals.
- LegoMindStorm This free app was developed for ages 8+. Programmers can develop a lego robot that can put the misplaced battery packs at the NOGO factory back in their right place.
5th Grade & Up
- Scratch One of the best programs for beginner coders to use drag and drop commands for interactive animations and games.
- Code.org This website has a wealth of tutorials for all ages. For the 5-6 level, the CS Discoveries Course, the K-5 Express Course or 6-12 Express Courses are recommended.
- CodaKid teaches kids to write real code while creating custom games for Minecraft and other mobile game apps.
- HacketyHack Helps to students learn the basics of the Ruby programming language.
- Treehouse Older students and adults can use these tutorials to build webpages and apps. Test out the waters with a 7 day free trial.
- Alice This program allows students to gain familiarity with 3D animations and modeling. Free download!
- Afterschool Connections Survey
- Upcoming Winter Concerts